Renew the Strength and Appearance of Damaged Teeth
Dr. Sharolli and our team want to do everything we can to help your natural teeth stand the test of time. Even when one of them suffers damage, we may be able to renew its strength, function, and appearance with a dental crown in Wichita Falls. Would you like to learn more about this restorative treatment? Continue reading below to discover what dental crowns are, what is involved in the procedure, and what benefits you can expect from them.
Why Choose Wichita Falls Dental for Dental Crowns?
- Metal Free Crowns Available
- Custom Designed for Your Unique Mouth
- Caring and Skilled Team
What is a Dental Crown?
A dental crown is a custom tooth-shaped “cap” that we securely place over a natural tooth. Its job is to protect the tooth from harm and improve its function. Dental crowns can be made out of various materials, including a range of metals, 100% porcelain, or porcelain fused to metal.
We may recommend a crown for you if one of your teeth:
- Is broken
- Has recently undergone root canal therapy
- Is extremely sensitive due to cracked tooth syndrome or another problem
- Has a large cavity
- Is severely misshapen
- Has an old crown that is no longer doing its job as well as it should
The Process of Getting a Dental Crown
It generally takes at least two appointments to design and place a dental crown. During the first appointment, we prepare the tooth by removing a bit of enamel from it. This is necessary to ensure that the restoration will not interfere with your bite. Then, we take impressions of your teeth and use those as the basis for designing your crown. If you are getting a porcelain crown, your dentist in Wichita Falls will make sure it is shade-matched to blend in with the surrounding dentition.
Once the design details have been finalized, a dental laboratory will get to work on creating your crown. This typically takes a couple of weeks. Between your appointments, you will wear a temporary restoration to protect your prepared tooth. When your permanent one is ready, you will return to our office so we can double-check its fit before we attach it to your tooth.
The Benefits of Getting a Dental Crown
There are multiple benefits of dental crowns:
- Dental crowns often play a role in preserving teeth that would otherwise need to be extracted.
- Replacing an old metal crown with a porcelain one can improve your smile’s appearance and reduce dental sensitivity.
- Porcelain crowns are virtually indistinguishable from natural teeth.
- With proper care, dental crowns can last for 10 years or longer.
- It is easy to care for dental crowns.
- Dental crowns are a versatile treatment that can help to correct a range of aesthetic and oral health issues.
- We strive to make the treatment process as comfortable and efficient as possible.